Mindful Mondays: Cool Runnings

Each Monday, I would like to share a reminder about the importance of being mindful.  These will come from literature, popular culture, music--anywhere one might get this sort of everyday life nudge.

This weekend, we did ourselves a favor and had a movie night.  We wanted to laugh--actually, I always do--so we looked around for the perfect option.  Danny found Cool Runnings.  I have to admit, I remembered it from my childhood, and I remembered that I had liked it, but I wasn't sure whether that's what I wanted to see that night.  After it was on for a few minutes, however, it got my full attention and I sunk into how fun, funny, and uplifting it is.

Image Source: SoundonSight

Here are some of the quotes that helped me realize how thoughtful and inspiring this movie is, despite the fact that it is a children's film (Source of Quotes: IMDB):

Junior Bevill: Seeming to you nobody likes us?

Yul Brenner: We're different. People are always afraid of what's different.

~ ~ ~

Junior Bevill: Well, I know my father started off in a one room hut. Now he lives in one of the biggest homes in Kingston.

Sanka Coffie: Well, he ain't your father.

Junior Bevill: He doesn't have to be. All he has to do is know what he wants and work hard for it. And if he wants it bad enough, he'll get it. Look, believe me, Sanka the more Yul Brenners we got making it in this world the better off this world will be, especially for Jamaicans. Go ahead, Yul Brenner. Go get your palace.

~ ~ ~

Irv: [telling Derice why he cheated] It's a fair question. It's quite simple, really. I had to win. You see, Derice, I had made winning my whole life, and when you make winning your whole life, you have to keep on winning, no matter what. Understand?

Derice Bannock: No, I don't understand. You won two gold medals. You had it all.

Irv: Derice, a gold medal is a wonderful thing. But if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

~ ~ ~

I thought this would be a great Mindful Monday post, because all of the wisdom is wrapped up in a funny and inspirational movie.  It was silly and easy to watch, while still providing a great reminder of goal setting, hard work, staying positive, and doing your best. 

My favorite line, and the reason I decided to share it today, is that last one: "if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it."  How often do we set goals for ourselves that change how we see our world and our definition of ourselves?  Setting lofty goals is excellent as long as you can remember why you're looking for success in the first place.

What is your favorite, inspirational movie from the 90s?

Labels: ,