Mindful Mondays: How You Made Them Feel

Yesterday evening, I had the pleasure to attend my friend's wedding ceremony and reception.  It was a gorgeous outdoor ceremony.  Imagine the rustle of trees, the sights of beautiful, verdant foliage popping from sparkling stone ruins, the soft gurgle of a small stream, and a lone butterfly, flitting beneath the strings of lights during the ceremony.

 
July 20, 2014
The Mill at Fine Creek
Powhatan, Virginia
Image By: A. Van Divender Smedley

I've been to beautiful weddings before.  I've been to extravagant and charming weddings.  I've been delighted to share in people's new beginnings.  Never before, however, have I witnessed so much love in one, concentrated space.  The entire property seemed to be pulsating with love--love between my friends on their special day and love of all of those in attendance.  True, this wedding had more than the usual amount of interesting/ passionate/ happy people, but still, somehow, I was shocked at how wonderful we felt the entire evening as a result of simply being in attendance.

Today's Mindful Monday reminder is this, by the remarkable Maya Angelou:

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

I know I will not remember all that was said during the ceremony or the reception, but as cliché as it may sound, I know I will never forget the way this day, this heart-warming, soul-filling day, made me feel.

Labels: , ,