Reach Out & Reconnect

In the last few months, I've been reminded again and again of how important it is to reach out to the people I care about and how wonderful it can be to reconnect.  This is a lesson that has been somewhat difficult for me, hence the extra practice I've been getting to work on it... Sometimes, when I call/ text/ write/ meet up with someone, it happens to be a time when they really need it most.  Sometimes, I need the reminder of how meaningful our friendship is to me.

 
my girlfriend's birthday lunch with some wonderful ladies, in Richmond, VA

I've found that as I age, I'm prone to get involved in my own day-to-day routines and fall out of touch with even the people I love.  Pair that with the busy lives of the people I love most, and friendships often slide out of focus.  This happens to all of us.  We've all got busy schedules, long to-do lists, and somewhere to be, but making time for the people who are important is itself important.

Just like simplifying your life and the positive impact ridding yourself of stuff can have on the rest of your life, being honest about the time you spend on your friendships and evaluating which friendships you truly want to keep are both good practices.

 
from Simplify: Less is More

As we know (and the Know When to Hold 'Em post reiterated), some friendships aren't positive or worth keeping.  This can be a true struggle to recognize this fact, or even more difficult, to act on it.  As hard as it is to change other aspects of your life (your attitude, diet, clothing style, exercise habits), it is just as difficult to make a change in how you maintain friendships, but today's post is a reminder that you have the power to do so.  You can become better at maintaining your friendships and you can get better at identifying when someone has overstayed their welcome in your life.

Facebook and other social media sites are helpful to keep people abreast in the life events of others, but unfortunately, too many of us rely on that as a substitute for reaching out and making actually contact ourselves.  It's great to see photos and read funny stories online, but even more meaningful is picking up the phone and connecting with that person. 

In the last month, I've had the opportunity to reconnect with several old friends.  Our lives have changed--new homes, new jobs, recent marriages, new-born children--but when you have positive, loving, caring people in your life, the amount of time that has passed since you last got together is irrelevant.  What matters is the wonderful conversation and the beautiful opportunity to "pick back up where you left off." 

Today, I encourage you to reach out and reconnect with the people who mean the most in your life.  If you don't see this person/ these people often, make an effort to send a quick message/ schedule a phone date/ send a hand-written note/ or make a date.  These everyday gestures will not only brighten your day, but will strengthen your friendship, renew your spirit, and help you to make mindfulness happen in your life.

Labels: ,