Pan-Roasted Chickpeas

When I was in college, I took a brief road trip to visit my best friend, Molly, at her school.  I didn't really like driving, especially (three whole!) hours on the highway, but the drive was exciting and incident-free.  (Now, when I look back at what an excursion that felt like, I can laugh.)  Upon my arrival, due to my constant and nagging hunger, she served me these pan-roasted chickpeas.  Quick and easy, but healthy and savory, they were a perfect and filling after-drive mini-meal. 

When I make them now, I use them as a to-go snack (without onions), a side dish, or a main vegetarian dish.  I love their flexibility and taste.  If you pan-roast them with less liquid, they turn out like a dry, baggable and portable snack--comparable to popcorn or nuts.  After trying the recipe, you may want to experiment with other herbs and spices for your perfect combination.

Ingredients:
- 1 can of rinsed and drained chickpeas or 1 1/3 cups of cooked chickpeas
- 1/2- 1 onion, chopped
 - olive oil spray or olive oil
- salt and pepper (or seasoned salt)

Kitchen Supplies:
- frying pan, preferably nonstick
- spatula
(Optional: Misto for spraying olive oil)

Heat pan to medium heat (you may want to use med-high heat, depending on how you want the outsides to look).  Rinse and drain chickpeas.  Chop onion.  Spray pan with olive oil (you don't need much).  Combine chickpeas and onions in pan. Top with salt and pepper.  Stir pretty constantly for 3-5 minutes and allow to brown slightly.  Remove from heat and enjoy.






Below are the health benefits of these two foods.

Chickpeas/ Garbanzo Beans: high in fiber and therefore helpful for digestive tract, increased satiety and decreased calorie intake, decreased cardiovascular risk, supplies antioxidants, and provides better regulation of blood sugar

Onions: part of the Allium family (with garlic), several servings a week decrease your risk for multiple cancers, may provide anti-clotting and protection for the heart and blood vessels, helps to increase bone density, supplies anti-inflammatory benefits, prevents bacterial infection

Labels: