Mindful Mondays: May the Force Be with You

Each Monday, I would like to share a reminder about the importance of being mindful.  These will come from literature, popular culture, music--anywhere one might get this sort of everyday life nudge.

One weekend, while my brother and I were in elementary school, my mom suddenly realized that neither of us had seen ANY of the Star Wars films.  Being a Star Wars geek herself, this was simply unacceptable.  Whether she attained them all from the video store (when those existed) or they were on TV, I don't remember, but Eddie and I were instructed to watch all three of them that weekend.  This is an example of what was, years later, affectionately termed "mandatory fun" in our household.  Mom continuously made popcorn, while my brother and I learned the ways of the Force.  We now joke with her about "torturing" us in this way, but we actually didn't mind the temporary house arrest.  Something he and I didn't realize at the time, however, was just how much this movie marathon would affect our subconscious minds.  As far as films go, the Star Wars movies contain excellent life lessons of teamwork, good vs. evil, dedication, and mindfulness.

Today's Mindful Monday reminder is a series of quotes from various films within the Star Wars series, according to Wookieepedia and Star Wars Quotes.

Luke: "The future is to be lived, not prearranged."

--

Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Be mindful of your thoughts, Anakin. They'll betray you."

--

Yoda: "A Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger. Fear. Aggression. The dark side of the Force they are. Easily they flow. Quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."
Luke: "Vader... Is the dark side stronger?"
Yoda: "No! No...no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."
Luke: "But how am I to know the good side from the bad?"
Yoda: "You will know, when you are calm. At peace. Passive."



Image Source: The Telegraph
 
--
 
Luke: "What's one of the first things you learned in training to be a Jedi?"
Ben: "Don't cut your own head off with your lightsaber."
Luke: "After that."
Ben: "Your eyes can deceive you. Be mindful of your feelings. Girls are fun, but dangerous. Lando has extra cards up his sleeve."
Luke: "Well, the truth is in there somewhere..."

--And as an added bonus, because it's somewhat yogic and laughter is an excellent component of mindfulness:

Yoda: "Stubborn and hard is your head. Soften it we will."
Luke: "I stood on my head to soften it?"
Yoda: "Mysterious are the ways of the Force."
Luke: "Did you just make me stand on my head for two hours because I was annoying you?"
Yoda: "Very mysterious."

Reflecting on the major themes throughout Star Wars, mindfulness tops my list.  Jedi are constantly reminded of the power of their thoughts and decisions.  Making the right choices every day puts you in a position to follow the right path--something Darth Vader ignored for the easy path.

Happy Monday and may the Force be with you.


 
Image Source: Wikipedia

Labels: