Crunch & Color: Black Bean Salad

In terms of eating mindfully, the best way I have found to fuel my day is to fill my meals with vegetables.  For the "mindful eating" section of the blog, I will focus on relatively easy and quick fiber and vitamin-rich recipes.  This allows for essential vitamins and nutrients at each meal, powering both the mind and body.  This recipe is a brightly colored and crunchy way to get more vegetables into your day.

When I was student teaching, my roommate was a fun, sweet, English major, as well as a good cook.  She grew up eating fresh, simple foods; living with her helped me to view food differently.  Although I had always loved eating, it was then that I began to enjoy cooking.  The following recipe is one that we would make as a staple weekly.  It's a fast and refreshing side dish or main course lunch.  Now that I have stopped eating meat, I've found myself making it regularly again.  Yum!

Ingredients:

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
(Optional: 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
3-4 carrots, scrubbed (peeled or not peeled)
2-3 celery stalks, washed and chopped and chopped
1-2 T olive oil
Salt and pepper

Rinse beans.  Chop carrots and celery.  In a medium bowl, combine beans and veggies.  Top with olive oil.  Add salt and pepper and mix.  Serve cold.  Enjoy!

Labels: , , ,